Sunday, February 15, 2009

Dinner Party Was A Dud But We'll Always Have Fried Chicken

It's always a shame when work gets in the way of your hobbies. The past few weeks I've been working non-stop and had to cancel my beloved dinner party as a result. I felt terrible because friends Eagle Eye and El-El flew out from St. L to hang out with us, especially in time to attend. Dinner party aside, we did find time to indulge in some serious foodie behavior by dining at both Melisse and Osteria Mozza (more on that in separate posts).


I also found some time to make fried chicken, a first for me. I bought a whole fryer and butchered it, (wielding my cleaver was especially gratifying) then marinated the chicken in buttermilk overnight to keep it moist and tender. I then dredged it in well seasoned flour and plopped it into my fry pan, doing my best to keep the temperature at an even 300.

Unfortunately I misjudged the done-ness of my chicken before I took it out so it ended up being twice fried, but it was tasty, tender, and very juicy. To keep with the southern theme I made some fried okra, Big N's favorite.

For a first attempt it wasn't half bad. I had so much fun making it that I plan to experiment next time with my hefty duty deep fryer. KFC ain't got nothing on me.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you're on to something with this twice-fried concept... It's like twice-baked potatoes, but more delicious.