Thursday, July 30, 2009

Divine Beef: Wagyu Tri-tip with mushrooms and home grown carrots

My neighborhood Bristol Farms sells Australian Wagyu beef. Now I know that beef connoisseurs out there love to whine about the kobe/wagyu debate, (what is the real Kobe? didn't the Americans steal bovine sperm from the Japanese? etc. etc.). As for me, I just like good meat, and I'm not particular about where it comes from, as long as it's not riddled with hormones and antibiotics, the cow had a relatively good short life, and grass actually passed through his stomachs at some point. I don't get too caught up in organic snobbiness, because anybody who's read The Omnivore's Dilemma knows that a lot of the "organic" industry is a crock.
Anyway, last night we tried the Wagyu Tri-Tip and as skeptical as I was about cooking successful Wagyu at home, I have to admit the difference was huge. Big N handled the tri-tip, and I provided the assist with sides. He seasoned it simply with my homemade dry rub (created with brown sugar, kosher salt, and a plethora of seasonings in my pantry) and a little olive oil, let it sit for 30 minutes (no overnight marinating required for this beauty) and cooked it to perfection on the grill.
For sides, my mother-in-law blessed us again with home grown carrots from her garden, which I boiled until soft and added a little butter, apricot preserves, fresh nutmeg, lemon zest, a little lemon juice, and parsley. I also sauteed fresh shiitake and oyster mushrooms in olive oil, butter, and garlic, and added white wine and some finely diced greens from the tops of the carrots.
The meat was delicious, perfectly marbled and fatty, and soft and juicy. The carrots tasted fresh as only home grown produce can taste, and the mushrooms were tasty (but I admit I got a little happy with my celtic sea salt).
Big N paired our meal with a Pertimali Sassetti Livio 2003 Brunello di Montalcino, made from sangiovese. The wine smelled of stewed cherries, cedar, and eucalyptus, with a full but approachable palette of licorice, leather, dark fruits, and a little smoke.

Very satisfying for a Wednesday night. Thanks to the fatty Wagyu, this meal was restaurant quality.