Monday, November 3, 2008

Failed Attempt: Cheesy Churriscaria Rolls


This weekend my cooking adventure was to try to duplicate the delicious cheesy doughy goodness dinner rolls that I've devoured at the local churriscaria. The restaurant itself is so-so, but the cheese dough balls are to die for. I fantasize about having these rolls daily-- opening the flaky crust and digging out the warm gooey center. Heavenly.

So I started with a simple choux (1 cup flour, 4 eggs, 1 cup water), the same kind of dough used for profiteroles. I added fresh thyme and parsley, and grated in pecorino and gruyere, plus salt of course. I baked for 40 minutes at 400 and the result was tasty, but the texture wasn't quite right. The crust was flaky and slightly crunchy, but the inside was too eggy, and not nearly enough doughy goodness. Alas, weekend craziness did not permit another attempt, but I intend to nail these by Thanksgiving.

Churriscaria rolls will be mine to cherish any time I want. I'm determined.

0 comments: