Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Nothing wrong with Pork

I'm admittedly not the most observant Jew, nor am I observant in general, truth be told, but that's another story. I happen to love pork. Bacon, ham, carnitas, I love it all. I take great pleasure in eating and find nothing wrong with enjoying the other white meat on occasion. Getting wrapped up in the holiday spirit I decided to make Big N a nice Christmas Eve Eve dinner. So I made dried persimmon stuffed pork tenderloin and his favorite asparagus.

For the pork tenderloin I diced dried persimmons (apricots work too but I didn't have any) and shallot and stuffed the seasoned pork tenderloin, then tied it shut with kitchen twine. I roasted it at 450 for 20 minutes.

Halfway through I added the asparagus tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper. For a vinaigrette I mixed capers, more shallot, olive oil, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar, and finely diced hard boiled egg and whisked to emulsify. When the pork was done I sliced it neatly and poured the vinaigrette over the roasted asparagus. We tried to pair that with Black Jack Cellars Pinot, but alas the cork was moldy and the wine was bad. It happens to the best of them. At least my pork was tender and juicy and I don't feel the least bit guilty.

0 comments: