Monday, December 29, 2008

Monday Night Fish

This Monday night we had our usual fish for dinner, except tonight I made Nobu's famous miso black cod, which I'd been marinating in a sauce of miso, mirin, sake, and sugar for nearly three days. That's the only way to do it right. The fish came out flaky, buttery tender, and oh so yummy. Our friend 'Eagle Eye' would have been jealous (it's one of his favorites). I went a little out of the ordinary and paired the fish with braised collard greens, which I boiled in chicken stock, then sauteed with mustard seeds (which I've decided is my favorite seasoning of the hour), red pepper flakes, pepper, and proscuitto. The combo was a little unusual, though I think it worked despite the mixture of soft and savory textures. We paired our meal with Justin 2006 Chardonnay from Paso Robles. The Chard had just enough oak to stand up to the greens, with orange blossom honey and green apples on the nose and a lingering finish of vanilla, pineapple, and a bit of grass. I have to say that I'm rarely as excited to eat fish as I am to tear into a juicy steak, but the Nobu cod really is a treat.

0 comments: