Monday, May 11, 2009

18,000 BTU's of Joy: Filet Mignon Restaurant Style

Big N bought LCG a new toy for my birthday: a spectacular Thermador gas cooktop with an 18,000 BTU power burner and extra low simmer burners. The gas cooktop replaced the electric cooktop our house came with that was the bane of my chefly existence (the prior owners obviously didn't cook a lick). I can't understand why a person living outside of Florida would ever want to install electric cooking appliances; it's all about the FIRE people. But I rant.

So last night we took the new Thermador out for a spin with some bacon wrapped filet mignon. Ordinarily Big N demands to barbecue any kind of meat but last night I got my way and cooked up the steaks restaurant style (read: sizzling in a vat of butter). For the filets I pierced with a fork, seasoned with salt and pepper, and wrapped them with bacon tied with a bamboo toothpick. I fired up some grape seed oil using all 18,000 BTUs and added butter (clarified is best) when my oil started smoking. I seared the heck out of my filets on both sides, basting them with the juices while searing. After turning to sear the second side I popped them into a 550 degree oven to finish them off. For sides I made some Israeli cous cous with sun dried tomatoes and shiitake mushrooms, and spicy sauteed okra.
We served the steaks with a 2005 Consilience Estelle Vineyard Syrah from Santa Barbara County. The syrah tasted of rich dark fruits, blackberies and plums, slightly jammy and bit of leather. The wine unfortunately was too hot (15.5% on the label but tasted like it was higher in alcohol) and overpowered the filets. Though we love Consilience, it was a bit disappointing. We suspect that Consilience, which only buys its grapes, has been losing some of its prime contracts with growers who have turned to making their own wine instead of selling their grapes(like Star Lane and Dierburg). But we'll still give them a chance because the folks there are incredibly warm and generous (they refilled a 9 liter bottle we bought for our wedding, no questions asked, when we popped the cork by leaving it out in the sun too long). Hopefully next year's wine club shipments will be better.

The steak was a success, tender, juicy, oh so rich and a joy to cook thanks to my new gas cooktop. No more electric crap. LCG is happy in her kitchen once more.

0 comments: