Monday, May 4, 2009

Fun with Ring Molds: Spicy Tuna Poke Salad

I'm really not a salad person. Don't get me wrong, a good salad is healthy, refreshing, and colorful, but I don't find salads satisfying enough to stand alone as a meal. But for health reasons I acknowledge that a meal salad is sometimes necessary. That said, when I do hop on the salad bandwagon I make darn sure my plate is packed to the brim with yummy stuff to satisfy me so I don't feel cheated once the meal ends.

Tonight I wanted to keep it light, as I'm determined to look good for my brother's wedding this weekend. So I grudgingly succumbed to the salad meal thing but decided to jazz it up a bit with some spicy tuna poke.

For the tuna poke I bought a chunk of sushi quality tuna and diced it up, added diced green onions, celtic sea salt, diced avocado, and chili sesame oil for spice (aka "la jiao" for my mandarin speaking peeps). I usually add chopped dried seaweed but didn't have any tonight. I pressed the poke into my favorite ring mold and sprinkled nigella (black seeds) and toasted sesame seeds on top. For garnish I balanced a slice of tangy star fruit on the edge of my poke ring. Pretty!

I kept the salad pretty simple, starting with butter lettuce tossed in a simple miso ginger vinaigrette and added sliced mango, avocado, orange tomatoes and cucumber.

Thanks to the spicy tuna poke the salad did, in fact, satisfy me. However, I'm only posting this 30 minutes after consumption. There's no telling if the urge to snack will hit me before bed time. Will power, ugh.

0 comments: