Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Years at the Cabin

The Core spent 5 amazing days at the cabin in Arrowhead over the New Years holiday. This was our 4th New Years in a row and each year gets better and better. We all arrived at the same time, slipped and slided on the black ice to get to our parking deck, marveled at how much snow there was this year, threw our bags down, examined all the new changes to the cabin (our contractor has been working overtime), changed into comfy clothes, and then--- we settled in and let the pure sensation of ultimate relaxation wash over us.

For five days I think I left the cabin twice, once to go grocery shopping (2 carts filled to the brim, oh yeah), and once to cruise around Arrowhead village for a little bit. The rest of the time I spent reading, playing games, enjoying the snow, drinking, and, of course, cooking.


I made all the comfort tummy-warming foods I could think of, including braised short ribs, roast chicken, carnitas, apple pie, baklava, cinnamon rolls, etc. etc.

Sage made a legend-wait for it-dary 15 pound prime rib. He cooked it the way his father used to by toppling it with kosher salt so it would stay moist and tender in the oven. It fed the 8 of us, plus my parents and brother who were staying over for the night.

We had a wonderful time, and enjoyed having a few visitors come up, including my family, Kerouac, and Big N's friends Hagen (5 points for anybody that can guess why I'm calling E "Hagen"), Hagen's wife Cyprus, and their 3 year old twins Qing and MeiYu. Qing and MeiYu had their first experience sledding. They were adorable. I marveled at their adventurous spirits as they went down the slope again and again without fear.
Already we're looking forward to next year.

0 comments: