Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sunday Night Romertopf Roast

For Christmas Big N's sister Star gave me a Romertopf- an unglazed clay pot with a dome lid that seals in the juices and nutrients while it roasts. I decided to try it out with a simple preparation of cornish game hen and vegetables, au-so-French. As recommended in the Romertopf cookbook, I prepared the hen by seasoning it inside and out with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and parsley. Then I mixed sour cream, lemon juice, and water and poured it into the pot (which I already soaked in water for 20 minutes) to provide the moisture. The vegetables were simple carrots and parsnips, Big N's favorite.

As promised, the dish could not have been easier to prepare, and in 1 hour we had delicious roasted hen, moist and tender. I think I can get used to the Romertopf and will experiment with other recipes. One thing to note- I highly recommend not buying the cornish hen at Whole Foods. The organic mini-bird was about a third the size of a whole chicken roaster and 3 times the price ($15). Luckily, it fed both Big N and me, barely, but I'm not sure the organic tradeoff is worth $15 bucks for such a munchkin.

We paired our mini-hen with a lovely easy-drinking Burgundy, the Bouchard Aine & Fils La Maziere, from the Fixin AOC (a lesser-known AOC near Marsannay) on the north end of the Cotes de Nuits. Wines from Fixin are known to be good value Burgundies. It had a nice Abba Zabba candied nose with some vanilla notes from the oak, and smooth spices and easy tannins on the finish. Very drinkable. We gobbled it up.

2 comments:

Anica said...

Sounds so good and really easy. I am still surprised at the power of roasting. We did a duck the other night (our first attempt) that wasn't so successful, so that was a bummer.

Daniel said...

I'll have to try that sour cream/lemon/water concoction... I roasted 2 whole chickens last night, and I had to add a can of chicken broth to the roasting pan because the veggies were starting to smoke (that's almost never good).

The leftover chicken is going into a chicken salad. I'm trying to recreate it from one of our favorite lunch places. We got some inside info that they use creme fraiche instead of mayo, and I've ID'ed diced celery, celery seed, lemon zest, and walnuts as other components. If it turns out, I'm sure Anica will blog about it.