Friday, January 16, 2009

What LCG's Lusting After Today

You've already heard me lusting after sous-vide meats. They are soft, tender, delectable. Veal, beef, and, I'm told, even eggs and fois gras come out delightfully delicious when they've been sous-vide. I simply must try this technique for myself.

Essentially it works like this: you place your seasoned meat or other food item in a vacuum-sealed bag, then in a water bath. The water is heated to a very precise but low temperature to cook the meat slowly, consistently, and tenderly. So if medium rare meat is delicious at 135 degrees, you'd cook your meat somewhere near that temperature for hours and hours. The fat stays in the meat and does not render off, giving the meat better texture. The danger of course, is bacteria, because low temperatures do not kill it off, so that's an issue, but well worth the gamble in my opinion.

I'm dying to try the technique myself and have been lusting after this immersion circulator, the tool required. It's not cheap, so it may have to wait until I decide once and for all that my destiny is to become a chef.

0 comments: